THE COMPETITION HEATS UP AS WEDGETAIL CALLS OUT BLACK DIAMOND!
David Rose (Rosie), the skipper of ‘Wedgetail, has a formidable vessel under his command. Launched in 2005, ‘Wedgetail’ is a Welbourn 42 with a distinctive white carbon hull, a sweeping shape, and an unmistakable eagle motif. This yacht is a frequent contender in yacht races and regattas along the coast, consistently collecting victories. However, David Rose’s primary focus has always been on ‘Black Diamond,’ which he sees as his ultimate adversary. Rosie and crew are determined to outsail his rival once more and said ‘I am just coming down to beat Black Diamond, as the rum always tastes better when Glenn pays for it!’
‘Black Diamond,’ helmed by Glenn Burrell, adds to the intensity of this rivalry. Glenn is also the Vice Commodore of Sail at Southport Yacht Club. ‘Black Diamond’ is a Reichel Pugh 42 and was launched in 2009. With its sleek Navy Blue design and striking Orange spinnaker, ‘Black Diamond’ is a familiar sight at the forefront of Bartercard Sail Paradise races. Glenn Burrell and his crew have a rich history of victories in various races and regattas, and they are resolute in competing for the coveted Sail Paradise Trophy awarded by SYC from contenders like ‘Wedgetail’. ‘In regard to ‘Wedgetails’ comments, it is all in good fun, but Black Diamond and crew are ready for the challenge’ replied Glenn.
The grudge match between ‘Wedgetail’ and ‘Black Diamond’ extends beyond the water, with both teams relentlessly pursuing victory on and off the racecourse. Their competitive spirit promises thrilling action and intense rivalry at the Bartercard Sail Paradise this coming King’s Birthday Long Weekend.
Gold Coast Offshore Sailing Regatta
- FIRST EVER Parade in Paradise at 9am Saturday 30th (Open to Public) with all the boats sailing past the Southport Yacht Club Main Beach restaurant.
- Over 3-Day Long Weekend from September 30th to October 2nd
- Southport Yacht Club, a multi-award-winning Club and Restaurant is hosting the event
- Not just for sailors – families and friends can also enjoy holiday pleasures on the Gold Coast
- Daily prizes for all divisions
The regatta will feature seven divisions over three days, including:
- Monohull IRC/ORC
- Monohull Performance Racing PHS/ORC
- Monohull Cruising – Spinnaker (PHS)
- Monohull 2 Handed Division IRC/ORC
- Multihull Division
Proudly Supported by Major Events Gold Coast